How do I create my own vocabulary list?
Alongside the many vocabulary lists available in Education Perfect, you can create your own lists tailored to in-class requirements!
Create a list
To begin with, navigate to the Content tab, and toggle to Edit mode.
Select your desired subject using the dropdown options.
Click Translation List from the menu along the top.
You'll be taken to the creation screen! Here you can choose to build your own list, import from another list, or import from a spreadsheet. You can combine these options as well.
If you have an existing spreadsheet you wish to import from, select this option.
Copy columns of vocabulary and translations from your spreadsheet file to paste directly into the system.
If you'd like to import from existing lists on EP, select Import from another list. You can search for translations to add from there.
To build a translation list from scratch, select Build.
Here, you manually type in vocabulary and translations. Add words by typing the word to translate on the left or the translation on the right.
To ensure your vocabulary is as accurate as possible, you will be given a definition bank to select from rather than having to manually input each word yourself. If you are looking to add a specific word to your list, you can use the search function to quickly find it from the list of vocabulary available.
To add your own definition, simply click to the right of the existing definition and start typing.
When you are editing the list you need to have the options listed separately. Anything within the grey square is a full answer so if you have them all in the same box students will have to write it all out as a single answer.
To enter in a separate acceptable answer (i.e. a synonym) there are a couple of different methods:
- You can click into the blank space after the last existing definition.
- As you're typing you can type ; to start a new definition, or as you're typing you can hold down Ctrl (Windows) or Cmd (Mac) and press Enter.
Continue to add as many words as you would like by selecting Add Translation, and repeating the process. Filling in the lowest entry and selecting Enter on the keyboard will also automatically create another entry.
Note that you can still import vocabulary from other lists or from a spreadsheet, by selecting Import at the top of the screen.
Give your list a name by selecting the title and typing it in. Then click Save List.
Your list will now be showing up in your My Content folder. You can assign it as a task or quiz and if you would like to make it visible to other teachers or students, move it to your school's folders.
Tips and tricks
Here are some tips to ensure the best experience!
- When typing in translations, ensure you replace any instance of “...” with “___” (3 underscores).
- Only use this if it’s in the middle of the translation or in a different place in each language (___をたべます > to eat___; 不仅___而且 > not only___but also)
- Don't use full stops at the end of a sentence.
- Ensure punctuation is matched on both sides.
- Bracketed content is only to provide extra information (e.g. Gender/case), so it must go at the end of the appropriate English translation.
- Add as many synonyms as possible.
- Make sure synonyms are correct and complete.
- Not all the synonyms need to be visible.
- Use semicolons (;) to separate synonyms.
- If you encounter two things that aren’t exact synonyms of each other, split them up!
Check out our articles for further information:
- Writing script and accented characters in the Content Library
- How do I write scripted and accented characters?
Alternatively, contact us for further assistance.