How do I install the LTI Tool Provider for Brightspace?
The EP Tool Provider in Brightspace enables schools to use an LTI integration with Education Perfect. This article outlines how a school admin can set up this integration.
Enabling this integration allows teachers to:
- Embed assigned EP work in Brightspace by embedding links to content
- Insert the EP Content Library content picker, so teachers can locate and assign work within Brightspace
- Use grade write back to feed EP Assessment results back to Brigthspace
1. Get in touch with us
To get started, please contact us and let us know you'd like to set up an integration between EP and Brightspace.
If you're not the person who will be configuring the integration, please also include their name and email address so we know who to include when sharing next steps.
Next, our team will share with you a consumer and secret key pair which you can use to authenticate with us using the steps below.
2. Install the EP External tool
- Start from the homepage of your Brightspace instance.
- Click into External Learning Tools and then Manage Tool Providers.
- Click New Tool Provider. Fill out the New Tool Provider page as follows:
- Launch Point for rest of world: https://sso.educationperfect.com/lti
- Launch Point for Canada: https://sso.ca.educationperfect.com/lti
- Secret: As provided by the EP team, e.g.
- Tool consumer information: Tick Use custom tool consumer information instead of default
- Key: As provided by the EP team, e.g.
- Name, Description and Contact Email: At your discretion
- Visibility: Tick Allow users to use this tool provider
- Security Settings: Tick all sub options
- Make tool provider available to: Tick Current Org Unit
- Click Save and Close.
Now that this is complete, links from any EP content or assigned Tasks or Assessments can now be copied from EP and pasted into Brightspace. This guide explains how to locate these: How do I get links to content, tasks and assessments?
If you'd like to be able to embed EP content via our picker, you will need to install a Brightspace Remote Plugin, which will inherently reference this Tool Provider you've just created.
3. Match existing users to their Brightspace accounts
If your students have already been using EP without a Brightspace integration, their EP accounts will need to be linked to the unique identifier Brightspace uses to confirm their identity.
This enables any work that students do on EP in Brightspace to be stored against their account. Often this is the user's school email address, but it can differ from school to school - the information in the test page above helps us to work out exactly what to use.
If we already have the unique identifier associated with teachers' and students' accounts, for example because it's their email addresses, we'll match up everyone we can on your behalf. We will then send you a list of anyone we couldn't match. Once you send us the details for those people, we'll update them as well.
Please note that until we have completed this step, users will get an error if they attempt to access EP content embedded within Brightspace.