Using diagnostic tests to gauge your learner's level
A pre-built assessment is an assessment based on a past exam. Pre-built assessments come with advanced marking rules and can automatically recommend content.
Your learner(s) will answer these questions under exam conditions; they will have a time limit and will not see the correct answers until marking is complete.
How to Assign a Diagnostic Quiz
How to Review a Diagnostic Quiz
Step by Step Guide
Navigate to the Assessments tab, and click + Assign Assessment.
Choose to Assign an assessment.
Click Who? to select the relevant class and student(s).
- My Classes lists all classes where you are assigned as a teacher. Click on All Classes to display all available classes.
- Assessments can be assigned to several classes at the same time by ticking multiple.
- Click Assign to specific students to select individual learners.
To select content for your children to complete, click What? Then browse to the content you want to assign. Click Confirm Selection.
Choose a start and end time and date.
Here you can also set the time limit for the assessment by entering the number of minutes allowed. When the time limit is reached, it will automatically save and close.
4. Conditions & Results
In this section, you can set conditions to customise your assessment.
- Decide how many attempts learners will get. This will default to 1, but if you allow multiple, the best attempt will determine a student's final score.
- Choose whether to Require students to enter an access code to start the test. This code will only be shown to teachers; students will be required to enter the code to begin the assessment.
- Use this tool to prevent learners from sitting the assessment until you're ready.
- Full Screen Monitored Mode is enabled by default and ensures you are notified when a learner switches to another tab or leaves the assessment. It is not a replacement for an invigilator on its own but can help with classroom management. For detailed information, see How do I monitor my assessment?
Depending on the type of Content you select in What? you will be presented with additional options.
- Enable text to speech is switched on by default.
- Let students use a calculator in this assessment allows learners to access a basic calculator on screen when completing the assessment.
- Enable spell checking allows extensions like Grammarly to operate as normal as the learner completes the exam.
- Withhold Student Results allows you to stop learners from seeing their scores until you choose to release them.
- The platform will mark anything it can automatically, but Extended Response questions will need to be marked by you.
5. Recommended Next Steps
Recommended Tasks are not available for all pre-built assessments.
Once the assessment is complete, EP automatically recommends individualised follow up activities based on learner performance within the test.
For example: If one learner scored less than 70% in expanding equations, whereas another struggled with factorising equations, each would get different work assigned to them.
When setting this up, you can:
- Choose the due date for the task which is created.
- Choose to restrict the amount of work assigned by the amount of time or number of lessons by ticking Limit the amount of work that will be assigned as remediation and choosing No more than __ hours of work or No more than __ lessons.
Lessons will be automatically assigned to learners. To change this, tick Manually review recommendations before assigning them. Check out our full guide on Recommended Tasks.
Note: If you choose to limit the amount of remedial work, EP will automatically assign areas (where a learner scored under the threshold) based on the order that they are laid out within the folder in the Content Library. This overrides other sections that may have lower scores.
Email settings can be changed in this section. By default, all email notifications are disabled, but you can click the section to expand it and change the settings.
The email to students will be sent at the start time of the assessment, not when you create it. The email will not provide them with the access code.
Click Set Assessment, and you're all done!