Using EP for Home to prepare for the NAPLAN Literacy tests
Education Perfect has developed original NAPLAN Literacy practice material to help in both identifying and remedying your learner's strengths and weaknesses.
EP postively impacts NAPLAN results! Analysis of NAPLAN results against use of EP shows a clear correlation between schools that use EP and their average NAPLAN score when compared against schools that don't use the platform, and a distinct further increase for schools that are highly engaged.
We found that the more that schools use EP, the better the NAPLAN results. Schools using EP see greater learning growth from Year 7 to Year 9.
For information on EP's Numeracy preparation material, see our article.
Our NAPLAN Literacy module contains a series of activities for Years 7 and 9:
- NAPLAN Spelling: Commonly misspelled words in NAPLAN tests are categorised into Simple; Common; Difficult; Challenging. Each set of words are available as a listening exercise using EP's Spelling Lists and NAPLAN-style lists where students are expected to find and correct the error in a sentence.
- Practice Exercises: Activities targeted at specific skills learners may need to practice before sitting the NAPLAN tests, available for Year 7 and 9.
- Practice Tests: Assessments created by the EP team in the style of NAPLAN tests, which when completed will give you a breakdown of each student's abilities and recommend remedial tasks from the existing folder.
- Recommended Tasks: Smart Lessons which teach the skills tested by NAPLAN, including Language Conventions, Narrative Writing, and Persuasive Writing. These activities contain a combination of Information Slides to teach skills, and questions to test your learner's understanding.
Preparing for the NAPLAN Assessments
Set a diagnostic test
To help prepare your learner for the NAPLAN assessments, we recommend this workflow:
- Set a diagnostic test from the Practice Tests folder for Year 7 or 9 (for instructions, see Using diagnostic tests to gauge your learner's level)
- Have your learner sit the test. You can monitor their progress and ensure they stay focused during the test by using EP's monitored assessment mode (for more information, see How do I monitor my assessment?)
- Once the test is complete, it will be automatically marked for you. Use the analysis provided to get an indication of your learner's skill level, then assign our automatically generated recommendations to give each learner a differentiated course of work targeted at their needs. For more information on doing this, see How do I assign remedial tasks to students after an assessment?
Assign a Quiz
In addition to setting a pre-built diagnostic test from the Practice Tests folders, you can also create a Quiz from any learning material in EP of your choice.
For example, you could assign a test based on just the Language Conventions list in the Practice Exercises folder, or based on any of the EP learning material. For more information, see How do I create and assign a Quiz?
Assign a Task for in-class work or homework
If you already know the areas your learners need support in, you can skip running the diagnostic tests and immediately choose tasks to assign to your learner and create a differentiated learning plan for them.
You can assign any of the EP-created NAPLAN content or any of the Education Perfect learning material. For more information, see How do I assign a task?