Young Kiwi Challenger Series 2023
We’re excited to be hosting the Young Kiwi Challenger series again in 2023!
This event is a great way to get your Year 5-8 students involved in a nationwide competition across a range of subjects, and is completely free for all students to enter.
When is the event?
On each day of the week from 9am - 3pm, a fun and engaging competition will be held for a different subject.
- Monday 22 May: Science
- Tuesday 23 May: Languages
- Wednesday 24 May: Maths
- Thursday 25 May: English
- Friday 26 May: Te Ao Māori & Aotearoa NZ Histories
Who can take part?
Any students in Years 5-8 can take part in this event, including EP for Home users.
Entry is completely free for the competition.
Students with existing accounts will be set up with access after registration, and any students without existing EP accounts can be enrolled for the competition, free of charge.
How do we sign up?
Complete this form, and we'll be in touch via email with next steps.
Please note the form is for teachers only - students will need to register via their teacher.
How do I enrol students?
Once registered, you will need to get students enrolled by following one of the methods listed here.
If your classes are already set up on EP, our team will ensure that they are added to the competition. Be sure to send us any additional enrolments you may want to add before the event begins!
How do students compete?
Students simply log into Education Perfect, and complete questions for that day's subject on EP to earn points. No prior learning or specific preparation is required.
A full guide on how students can log in, access the daily events and check their competition progress can be found in our guide.
What work will students need to complete?
Each day of the competition comes equipped with a bank of engaging, interactive lessons for students to work through.
- These are a mixture of fact and translation lists, as well as EP 'Smart Lessons' which include a variety of question types including multiple choice, fill-in-the-blanks, drag and drop, short answers, and more.
- For any questions answered incorrectly, students will have unlimited opportunities to input the correct answer with no penalties to their score or points.
- The content provided will allow students to work through at their own pace with no immediate time pressure.
- We provide a range of content that students can work through depending on what they’re learning and their ability level. There will also be additional content to challenge them further.
How much time will students need to dedicate to the competition?
The competitions are set up to accommodate the schedules of each school, allowing students and schools to take part in a flexible manner.
Our competitions are each open each day from 9am - 3pm. Any content completed during this time will count towards the total points of the student that day.
The competition can be done during class, in groups, or independently.
We recommend each student has their own EP account to compete. These accounts are completely free to create for the purpose of the competition.
Are there any prizes?
Yes! Certificates will be available for students who take part, and are downloadable after the event is finished. Find out more about certificates here.
We also have prizes up for grabs:
- Overall school: $250 NZD Scholastic voucher and a Young Kiwi Challenger 2023 shield
- Overall student: $150 NZD GiftPay card
In addition, spot prizes will be given out each day!
For any questions, please contact our Support team.