FOBISIA Primary Literacy & Numeracy Festival
What is the FOBISIA Primary Literacy & Numeracy Festival?
A brand new event for the 2021-22 academic year, the FOBISIA Primary Literacy & Numeracy Festival is a great way of engaging your upper primary students with their learning in English and Mathematics.
This is an inclusive event, designed for all abilities, and no prior teaching is required. More details on the content can be found further on in this guide.
When is the Festival?
The event will begin on Tuesday 18 January (12pm Singapore time) and conclude on Thursday 20 January (12pm Singapore time).
Who can enter the Competition?
This competition is suitable for any primary students in Years 5-6, and is offered free of charge to all FOBISIA schools.
How does the competition work?
- Students simply need to log into the Education Perfect platform (accessible via Google Chrome or the EP Student App), select the competition, and click the green 'Compete' button which will show when the competition begins.
- They can elect to complete any content from the English and/or Maths content folders for the competition. Each folder contains a variety of carefully curated Literacy and Numeracy activities. They can choose to complete content from just one section (Literacy or Numeracy) - or from both.
- All activities are designed to be completed independently by students.
- Every question they answer correctly, regardless of topic, will earn them a point.
Students new to Education Perfect may find our student guide, 'Taking Part in EP Competitions' helpful.
How much time will it require?
We know that teaching schedules are jam-packed, which is why we've designed this competition to be as flexible as possible. You do not need to allocate class time to take part, and there is no minimum amount of time required.
There is also no need for any prior teaching or specific preparation required for the event.
What type of content is included?
We have carefully selected English and Mathematics resources that support the development of key literacy and numeracy skills.
- Literacy topics: Punctuation, Spelling, Grammar, Vocabulary, Word Types, Reading Practice.
- Numeracy topics: Geometry, Measurement, Number, Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Skill practice (addition, subtraction, multiplication & division).
Competition content can be found in the Maths and English content areas of the Education Perfect content library, allowing teachers to review it before the event begins. We strongly encourage teachers to explore the content before choosing which class/es to register, in order to determine which of their students may enjoy and benefit from the event.
Please note that students will not be able to see the competition content on their student dashboard until the event starts.
How could I run this event with my students?
- Allocate one or more of your English and/or Maths lessons to the Festival and guide students towards specific content (ie revision materials from recent topics);
- Assign the Festival as a fun homework activity for your students
- Run the Festival as an extra-curricular event, and offer time for students to participate during lunchtimes and/or after school.
Some teachers like to offer additional in-school rewards, such as House Points or Merits, to encourage friendly competition and boost student participation.
How can I support my students?
- Get prepared by joining our Live Q&A Webinar (Tuesday 11 Jan, 4pm SGT) where we'll cover any & all questions about competition set up, enrolling your classes, the content included and more!
- Encourage your students to get involved! Share the competition poster & spread the word in your school community.
- Help them log on to Education Perfect (especially if they're new to EP) and explain how the event works.
- During the competition, keep an eye on the scoreboard and cheer your students on!
We also encourage all teachers and students to read our international competition rules before taking part in any Education Perfect online event.
Who else will be participating?
- The Challenge is open to all FOBISIA schools.
- You can keep an eye on other FOBISIA schools & students' progress via the official event scoreboard.
Will there be prizes and certificates?
- The top 3 students across the event, based on highest points, will earn a personalized certificate & an Amazon voucher of USD100 (or local equivalent).
- Certificates for all participating students can be downloaded by teachers from the event scoreboard once the Festival results are finalized.
- The top 3 FOBISIA schools - by highest average points per student - will be awarded a digital badge to be displayed on their school website.
How can I register my classes?
If you would like your students to compete, please fill out this registration form.
Please note that students cannot register themselves; the registration process must be completed by a class teacher.
How can I promote this event to my school community?
Please feel free to download and share our event poster here.
If your students are new to Education Perfect, we also have this handy guide which shows how students how to take part in an EP competition.
To be able to participate in the FOBISIA Primary Literacy & Numeracy Festival, your school must be registered AND your students will need to be enrolled on the EP platform.
For help with the enrolment process, or to ask any questions, please don't hesitate to reach us at: email@example.com.